I tell you, my purse can become a super scary place at times. After a few months so much stuff piles up in there, that it becomes exercise lugging it around. So at some point I do have to empty it, sort out through all of the junk, and put only the bare necessities back in; of course until the whole process has to be repeated! (Usually this point in time happens when I’m lugging grocery bags, my purse, and something else and realize it’s not happening.) Regardless of how much I take out though, there are certain things that always stay in there, besides the usual staples (phone, house keys, and wallet).
I love changing things up with the change of season, and notice that it helps a lot!
For the winter I thought I’d share what sort of things are in my purse that help me survive the bitter cold:
- Energizing Tea: I take this stuff EVERYWHERE! It’s not difficult to find a Starbucks, Panera or other cafe with hot water, so when I’m on the road and I need a serious pick-me-up then this is a perfect quick solution to that. And of course it tastes wonderful hot, when it’s freezing outside! (Right now it’s around 9 degrees, as I’m writing this.)
- Tissues: Now, I don’t think I have to explain the reasoning for this, but even for non-nose-related situations tissues can be seriously helpful! Spilling the tea somewhere and needing something to clean it up, or even just correcting some makeup in the car can all be fixed by the beautiful tissue.
- Journal & Pen: Journaling has been something I’ve been doing off-and-on for a while now. I love writing down to-do lists and gratitude lists. It seriously helps with keeping on track and not having a gazillion things floating around in my head. I’m also VERY particular about my pens, and I LOVE this one from Pigma Micron. Maybe it’s still the artist in me, but they just write so smoothly and so satisfying.
- Life Shake Packets: We’re on the road a lot, and there are many days that we’re just driving from one appointment to the next. While I’m not a huge proponent of rushing through a meal or drinking something on-the-go, sometimes it’s necessary and there simply isn’t any time! For those moments these smoothie packets are a godsend! Some places will even fix you a smoothie and mix in the protein for you. Others won’t due to the risk of contaminating certain kitchen gear for those who might have allergies, but even then you could stir it in. Bonus: you have the ability to add clean protein to whatever drink you’re having.
- Lip Balm: My lips get dry REALLY quick. Anybody else having that problem? Regardless of how much water I drink, my lips are still dry. So I know the importance of that little chapstick, and take it with me wherever I go. Especially in the winter!
- Scarf: Simple thing to keep me warm in the winter is a scarf. I tend to freeze easily, so having this is a necessity. Cotton scarves keep me extra warm – so I always opt for those during the winter season.
- Hair Ties: Is there anyone else who has hair ties EVERYWHERE? No? Ok. Well then I guess it’s just me! But I truly use them all the time. When I’m driving I prefer my hair to be pulled back, so I can see where I’m going, and the same goes for eating. On the other hand, they’re great to have on hand when you’re constantly running around to transition from a fun day with friends to a business meeting in no time.
- Last but not least, Multi-purpose Cream: This is such a soothing lotion and a great remedy for dry skin! In the winter it’s easy to have dry spots on your body, like elbows, knees, etc. It’s great to put on on the go, and also can be used in place of chapstick! I like it’s versatility and since it smells like peppermint it’s a perfect winter addition.
Ironically, I’ll be off soon now, driving with my family to the airport to bring my Dad and brother there. (They’re hopefully flying to Germany with a military flight – those can be finicky to get on to.)
Questions for you:
- What’s a winter staple for you?
- Are you on the road a lot?
- What’s something you always have in your purse?