I have those moments when I just expect others to know or understand what I’m talking about. As you can imagine, that doesn’t always quite work out for me. Whoops! Anyhow, I’ve received some questions about smoothie bowls and thought a post to explain them would be fitting (and helpful for some of you)!
Smoothie bowls have become a trend lately, and I remember first being introduced to them via an acai bowl. (Acai is a special Amazonian berry that is full of antioxidants.) Smoothie and juice bars often offer these, or something similar, and I guess one can compare it to the same concept of a froyo bar.
So….what is a smoothie bowl? A smoothie bowl has two parts: your base (aka smoothie) and your toppings (aka the good stuff). The smoothie base is usually slightly thicker than your everyday smoothie you can drink, since you don’t want your toppings to sink to the bottom of the bowl. There are several ways how you can do that:
- Add frozen banana slices to your smoothie.
- Add 1/2 an avocado to your smoothie. (It doesn’t sound like it would taste good, but trust me it’ll all be fine!)
- Put significantly less liquid in your smoothie. Have just enough so it blends, and becomes very thick in consistency, but be careful! You don’t want it to be chunky!
- Use frozen versus fresh fruit. (I personally like using a mix, but sometimes when I really want to make 100% sure that it’s thick enough to hold the toppings, I don’t mess around.)
- If making a protein smoothie bowl, add more protein powder to the smoothie. It’s more good stuff!
Now, let’s talk toppings! I LOVE TOPPINGS! It’s so much fun, and the best part of making smoothie bowls is the creative design you can make on the top. Put your toppings in rows, or create a circular design. Or just place it however you want! I use fresh fruit, nuts, seeds, superfoods, honey and on occasion almond butter. You really can customise it however you want! (Just like froyo..)
Let me know if there’s anything that’s still unclear, or if you’ve tried out a specific smoothie bowl!
For Smoothie Bowl Recipes: